Monday, February 11, 2013

Sidelined

I really had planned to write blog posts regularly but that kind of went out the window.  I hopefully will do better and keep up with my three times a week goal, but we shall see.  If you follow me on instagram or Facebook you know that I am currently sidelined from working out.  I have a lovely new accessory a hinged knee brace.



Last Tuesday, we were running hills on flagpole hill.  After our warm up, my knee felt tight.  I thought it was just my muscles taking a while to warm up since it was cold outside.  On the first hill, I felt pain when I bent my knee so basically every stride.  I kept pushing it in hopes that it would loosen up.  But by the fifth hill I knew something was wrong.  I stopped instead of doing the sixth hill.  When I let up I immediately felt pain every time I stepped.  

I asked around and everyone thought it was an Iliotibial band syndrome (IT band issue).  This may sense to me since I have had IT band issues in my hips before.  I picked up a foam roller, iced my knee, and took ibuprofen.  When I woke up the next morning, I was in worse pain than I was before.  I could barely lift my knee without pain.  I was concerned that it was something more serious.  

When I got to work, I called around and was able to get in to see a sports medicine doctor.  Luckily, I was able to get in that day!  The doctor diagnosed me with a sprain LCL.  A lateral collateral ligament sprain is basically an injury to the liagment on the outer surface of the knee joint.  I kept thinking of how I sprained my knee and the only thing I can think of is that I remember stepping on rock during the warm up and that must have tweaked it.

The doctor told me to rest my knee, wear a knee brace, ice, and ibuprofen.  He said no running until I see him again (Wednesday) but that I could try to use the elliptical.  I have been taking it relatively easy ad it was feeling a little better but this weekend the hubby and I went out of town and I did some walking.  The walking definitely hurt my knee.  So today I am back to resting.  I do not feel confident that Wednesday's appointment is going to go well so I may be sidelined for more time.  I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Has anyone ever suffered an LCL sprain?  Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this Alicia :( No fun, I have never suffered an LCL sprain. I hope you get better soon! Just take it easy and best of luck with healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to take it slow now and recover than to push it and have an injury that just lingers.......

    ReplyDelete