Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Valentine's Day - Staying Healthy

I have always had issues staying healthy when holidays roll around.  I don't know what it is but I just like eating especially during holidays.  This year for Valentine's Day, my husband and I wanted to stay healthy but still eat delicious food.  Weight Watchers always does a daily featured recipe on their online app.  So I always check it out.  Before Valentine's Day one of the featured recipes was Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce another was Roasted baby Potatoes with Oregano and Lemon.  After looking at the recipes we knew we had to try them and let me just say, I am happy we did!


We sized up on the filet portions (basically doubled) so the meal was a little more point than our typical dinner but for 16 points and a holiday I was pretty excited

For the Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce you will need:

3 sprays of cooking spray
8 oz uncoocked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon, washed and patted dry
½ tsp table salt
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
6 Tbsp table wine, red (Burgundy or Bordeaux) we used $2.75 wine
1 tsp unsalted butter
½ Tbsp chives, or parsley, fresh, chopped
½ pound(s) uncooked asparagus, trimmed, steamed or roasted (we broil ours in the oven)

Directions:

Coat a grill pan (with sides) with cooking spray; set pan over medium-high heat.


Rub salt and pepper all over steak. When pan is hot, cook steak for about 4 minutes without 
flipping. Flip steak and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes more for medium doneness.


Remove steak to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil; let rest for at least 10 
minutes (steak will continue to cook under foil).

While steak is resting, pour wine onto grill pan; increase heat to high. Reduce liquid by about
75%, scraping bottom and sides of pan while sauce is boiling (the thicker the sauce, the
more flavor it will have), about 2 to 4 minutes. If any juice has seeped out of steak while it’s 
resting, add it to grill pan. Once sauce is reduced, add butter to pan; cook until just melted.

                      
Very thinly slice steak against grain and place on plates; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with chives or parsley and serve with asparagus. 

Yields about 3 1/2 ounces steak, 1 tablespoon sauce and 1/2 of asparagus per serving.

For the Roasted Baby Potatoes with Oregano and Lemon you will need:

1 ½ pound uncooked new potatoes (halved or quartered) we use fingerling potatoes
4 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp dried oregano
¾ tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp lemon zest
1 medium lemons cut into 6 wedges
1 Tbsp mint leaves for garnished

Preheat oven to 375°F. In a 13- X 9-inch baking pan, toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil until
coated. Sprinkle with lemon juice, oregano, salt, garlic and pepper; toss to coat.  I realized I
was out of oregano so we used dried parsley and it turned out really well. 

Roast 30 minutes; remove from oven and stir. Roast until light golden in spots and tender,
about 15 minutes more. 


Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and toss with lemon zest and remaining 1 teaspoon oil; serve with lemon wedges and garnished with mint, if desired. 

Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.  I didn't use the lemon wedges or mint either and it still turned out really well.

Along with a healthy meal, the hubby and I decided to stick with healthy presents as well.  The hubby got me a new running shirt, two pairs of running socks, and Jillian Michaels:  6 Week Six-Pack.  So once I am able to workout, finish the 30 Day Shred, and my half training I plan to do the 6 Week Six-Pack challenge. 



My husband joked that he was going to put the picture on Facebook and say I helped my wife stay skinny while you made your wife fat.  I thought it was hilarious but he decided not to do it.  

Did you stay healthy for Valentine's Day or did you splurge?

No comments:

Post a Comment