Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Active Release Therapy - Advanced Chirosport



I interrupt today's Workout Wednesday to discuss Active Release Therapy.  If you have been reading my blog, you know that I am still have knee issues but only when I run.  The struggle with my knee has been rathering frustrating especially since sometimes I can ran and sometimes I can't.  I started looking for a different solution than just stretching and foam rolling my IT band.  That's when I discovered the blog Olivetorun.com.  She had been having IT band issues and went Active Release Therapy and is back to running without pain!!

I decided to immediately look into Active Release Therapy and hopefully find a provider in my area that takes my insurance.  Luckily, I found one and immediately made an appointment.

So what is Active Release Therapy?  Active Release Therapy (ART) is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves.  Active Release Therapy sessions are a combo of examination and treatment.  The ART provider will use his/her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements. 

My appointment at Advanced Chirosport went really well.  I was evaulated by the doctor.  Based on the examination, he stated that my IT band needed work as well as my hips and hamstring.  He started the treatment by Dry Needling my leg.  Dry Needling is a form of Acupuncture that works by induceing minor lesions to the connective tissue to produce an injury cascade. This results in an increase in blood flow to the site. New blood to an injured area nurishes the tissue and promotes healing. Pain is reduced by closing the pain-gait.  The doctor placed the dry needles along pressure points/tight points along my IT band.  The needle did not hurt when it was placed into my muscle.  My muscles did begin to twitch but then released and I felt the tightness evaporate from my leg. 

After the dry needling, my IT band was massaged and worked to loosen up.  I could feel this area also loosen.  My IT band was then rocktaped and I was sent on my way. 

I have to say I was really impressed with the appointment and ART.  The best part is my treatment should take anywhere between 3 and 6 appointments and I should be running pain free!  After my appointment, I iced my leg as directed and performed the stretches that were recommended.  This morning I stretched my IT band and hamstrings and definitely did not feel the tightness I have felt in the past.  I have another appointment Thursday and will update you on my progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment