Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sprint Triathlon Training Week 1

You may remember that last week I mentioned that I would be starting my sprint triathlon training and the training would take 9 weeks.  As I was traveling home last Monday from our mini vacation, I started thinking about my training and realized that I totally miscalcualted.  I had planned on starting my training on Memorial Day when I was planning to use a longer training plan.  When I switched training plans, I did not change my start date which left me with a lot more time to train.  I decided not to change my start date but to modify my training plan to start with.  I will continue following the plan but will go from moderate to minimum training until July 1st.  This will get me a lot more time practicing and will allow me to switch from the beginner plan to the intermediate plan.  So this week, I followed the plan with a few modifications.

Monday:

I was supposed to swim and do strength training Monday.  However, I was completely exhausted from our trip to Table Rock Lake and since I knew I had more time to train I took Monday off from training.

Tuesday:

AM:  30 minute bike ride

I was supposed to only bike for 30 minutes instead I biked a little longer and got in an 11.57 mile ride.  I felt pretty good and my legs felt great.  I went for 53 minutes instead of 30.

PM:  30 minute run

My run Tuesday evening didn't go very well.  The weather was kind of nasty - super hot and humid and my legs actually felt a little tired by evening.  So I ran on the elliptical instead of outside for 30 minutes and went 2.3 miles.

Wednesday:

AM:  Strength Training

I plan on getting in strength training twice a week but I just didn't feel up to it in the morning.  I had hoped to squeeze it in after my swim.

PM:  1,000 yard Swim

Wednesday's swim was the best I have felt in the pool since starting in February.  I still went slow but I didn't feel as uncomfortable as I sometimes do.  I think having a more structured workout helped as well.

Thursday:

AM:  30 minute run

One day a week will likely be limited to the elliptical for running.  I have to leave my house by 6:15 am to make it to work on time so sometimes I need to hit the snooze button from time to time.  Thursday was definitely one of those mornings.  I decided to sleep a little longer which made it impossible to run outside.  So I opted for the elliptical again (this must change for future training weeks).  I ran 2.37 miles in 30 minutes. 

PM:  30 minute bike ride



I have been riding my bike at the Oak Point Nature Preserve.  I absolutely love riding there however it sometimes causes issues with maintaining a fast speed.  Thursday night I definitely had to go slower than normal because of people on my path.  I have a feeling I will be switching to road rides sooner than I had planned.  I road 7.5 miles in 30:21 minutes.

Friday:

AM:  Strength Training

Friday is supposed to be only dedicated to swimming but since I had skipped strength training Wednesday and skipped my workout in general on Monday I decided to do a little strength training on Friday.  My strength training is going to be 30 Day Shred.  I love the workout and still can work my arms, abs, and get some cardio in.

PM:  1000 yard swim

I wasn't sure if my legs/arms were going to be able to do 1000 yards on Friday, but I made myself do it.  I went a little slower than Wednesday's swim, but I focused on using only my arms for the laps.  My arms felt sore but held up the entire time which was shocking.

Satruday:

30 Minute Run



The weather was gorgeous for my Saturday morning run unfortunately I could tell from the beginning that my legs didn't have much energy.  I had hoped to go for 45 minutes since I will be out of town next weekend but could tell immediately I could only do a 3 mile loop.  I ran 3.05 miles in 33 minutes so a nice slow pace.

Saturday we spent the day walking around so I got a little more exercise in. 

Sunday:

60 minute bike ride followed by 5 minute run



The training schedule called for a 60 minute ride, but since I am going to be out of town next weekend and will likely not get any rides in I decided to increase my time and distance.  I had planned on going 90 minutes but the path turned out to be 89 minutes.  I biked 20.24 miles.  There were parts of the path that had pedestrians that would not get out of the way which definitely caused a slower pace.  But the slower pace was definitely nice on my legs.

After the ride, I laced up my running shoes and attempted to run.  The first time I ran after the bike I wanted to die.  I only made it .53 miles and my legs felt absolutely terrible.  I wasn't sure how far I would make it or how fast I would go.  My goal was to run around the lake where I ride and to run no matter what.  I did it!  I ran 1.10 miles in 10:48 minutes.  I felt like I was moving really slow but my pace was actually better than Saturday's run.

Total:
Swim:  2000 yards
Bike:  39.31 miles
Run/Elliptical:  8.82 miles
Time:  6:05

No comments:

Post a Comment