Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Workout Wednesday - Medicine Ball Plank



My personal trainer has me doing planks pretty regularly.  I started with a basic plank and then have worked my way up to a plank on a medicine ball.  When she demonstrated the Medicine Ball Plank, I really didn't think I had the ability to do it.  But I found the move challenging but doable.  

When doing a plank remember to keep you back flat and your hips under you so you aren't straining your back.  

If the above exercise is too difficult, here are a few that you could do instead.


(Source

A forearm plank puts less strain on your back and on your shoulders.  If you haven't been working out or have a bad back, I suggest trying this one first.  Start with 30 seconds and then work your way up.



Once you feel comfortable with the forearm plank, try the straight arm plank.  This is a little more difficult than the forearm plank because you are working your arms more as well as your core.  



If you feel comfortable with the forearm plank, try a plank on a stability ball.  Since the stability ball, is a little unstable it will require you to keep your core tight and build great core muscles.

What's your favorite plank?  

For more from Fitness By Alicia check out:
-Instagram: FitnessByAlicia
-Twitter: FitnessByAlicia
-Facebook: Fitness By Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment