Monday, March 4, 2013

Rocco's Healthy Chicken Alfredo


Who doesn't love Fettuccine Alfredo?  I absolutely love it, but I thought it would be cut from my life unless I wanted to have a cheat day.  Then I discovered Rocco's Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe.  Chef Rocco recreated the typical recipe filled with butter, cheese, and heavy cream to make it with greek yogurt.  I wasn't sure about this recipe but I really wanted to give it a try.

For the recipe, you will need:

8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup 5 percent Greek yogurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine; cook according to package directions.
While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook two minutes.
Combine cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Pour into saute pan, raise the heat, and bring sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until melted. Remove pan from heat.
Whisk in yogurt until smooth.
Toss fettuccine with Alfredo sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Top pasta with remaining cheese. Serves four.

This recipe was simple and absolutely delicious!  Another great thing is that the Alfredo warmed up well for left overs unlike typical Alfredo.  You did not have the normal separation issues.  The recipe is 9 Weight Watcher points.  Next time, I am going to try 0 percent Greek yogurt to make it less in points.  

I took the Rocco's recipe and added seasoned broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts.  With the chicken breasts, the recipe is 15 points for a 1 chicken breast.   This recipe is definitely a keeper because it can be ate alone or with a chicken breast or shrimp.  My husband and I will be having this again in the future.  After I try the recipe with the different yogurt I will let you know how it goes and how many points it is.

The DietBet Challenge begins in one week!  For more details on the challenge click here or to join click here.  Are you going to join?


Do you think you will try this recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment