Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Latest on My Knee


I know I promised that I would not have any more knee updates until after I was recovered and the 10 week waiting period had been completed.  Well I couldn't wait anymore.  My knee has not been feeling better.  In fact, there are days when I bend down and have terrible pain.  The pain isn't as bad as the first day when I injured it but it still is pretty terrible.  Since it has been 4 weeks since the injury and I would have wait another 4 weeks, I couldn't take it any more. 

I decided to get a second opinion on my knee.  I made an appointment and picked up my MRI results and disc.  Since I had the MRI results, I decided to do some reading.  The results did say that I didn't any tears and that I had excessive fluid in my meniscus but it also mentioned that I have a cyst or some sort of lesion.  What?  The first doctor didn't mention this.  I figured I would let the new doctor talk to me about my injury and see if he brought it up.  If he didn't I knew I would ask because that just doesn't seem normal.

Well I went to an appointment with a new doctor and let me just say I am so glad I made the appointment.  Remember, when I thought my injury was an IT band injury?  Turns out the injury was an IT band injury all the time!  The doctor recommend stretching and foam rolling.

So I started stretching and foam rolling multiple times a day.

Here are some of the best stretches:


The doctor also told me that I was running too much too soon and that is why I have an IT band issue.  He said if I was going to run a half I would have to run 4 to 5 times a week.  Although the DRC program called for running 5 days a week, I knew my back couldn't handle that.  So I left the appointment disappointed that I wouldn't be able to run a half any time soon.  But I was determined to keep fit.  

I am playing around with a few new ideas and will let you know when I make a decision.  Have you ever had an IT band issue?  If so, how did you heal?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had IT band issues, but a friend of mine has, and yoga and resting from running were the only things she could do to recuperate. Don't push yourself-- your knees are important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t had an IT Band issue as well, but I know that most of the recovery and the healing happen when we’re sleeping. So, Alicia, that’s one aspect that you should focus on as well. Aside from finding new ways to keep fit without causing pain on your knee, have as much rest as you can. Get well soon! -->Sienna

    ReplyDelete