Monday, February 3, 2014

Weekly Workout Recap: Week of January 27th

This week was successful as far as workouts go.  I made up for missing last week's long run plus another long run over the weekend.

Monday:  6 Miles Long Run Pace on the treadmill



As I mentioned in last week's recap, I was having issues getting motivated to run.  Well, Monday I woke up knowing I needed to run 6 miles to see if I had any pain.  The weather was frigid Monday (negative windchill temps) so I knew I would have to run on the treadmill.   The longest I've ran on the treadmill was 30 minutes but I knocked out 75 minutes and 6 miles.  

I got bored during the run so I broke it into intervals and during those interval breaks I worked my arms and abs.

The run went well.  I'm about 30-45 seconds slower than when I was training last year.  I know that is from 1. Running correctly so my stride changed and 2. Being heavier.  I finished the run without pain!  Best part.

Tuesday:  Recovery Run 2.3 miles on the treadmill and personal trainer session

All day Monday, I couldn't believe that my legs didn't feel tired.  They felt great so I decided to hit the treadmill at a slow pace for 30 minutes.



After the treadmill, I got ready and went to my trainer.  The workout session was about an hour and we worked my legs.  I started the workout with my typical warm up.  Then we moved on to my legs.  I did squat sits with a shoulder raise followed by cross legged lunges.  The squats were so much easier and I was using larger weights.  The lunges were hard!

After that set, we moved on to my core.  I can only remember that I did dead bugs with chest presses.  Those were also hard!

I finished the workout by pushing and pulling the sled.  As I've mentioned before, I always feel amazing when I push the sled.  This time I felt even better because we went up in weight and I pushed and pulled 70 pounds down the turf track!!  70 pounds!!

Wednesday:  Recovery Run 2 miles on the elliptical 






Currently, I have my recovery runs scheduled on the elliptical.  In the past, I couldn't run back to back without back pain.  For now, I'm sticking with this method.  But I think my back probably could handle it.

I was thankful that Wednesday was a recovery run.  My legs were sore from Tuesday's session and I didn't have much in me.  I only did the elliptical and I was okay with that!

Thursday:  Personal Trainer Session and 1.55 Miles on the treadmill





I woke up Thursday still sore.  Since I was sore, I decided to wait to see if I would run or not.  So I headed to the trainer.  I told her about my sore legs and she said we'd focus on my upper body and core.

We started with my typical warm up then did a set with pulls ups on the pull up machine (love this thing), shoulder pulls, and rows with a lunge with larger weights!!  We repeated this set 3 times. 

We then did a set of core work.  I started with chest press with a leg drop.  Oh my so hard! 


Followed by 30 second planks on a ball.  I've done them on a stability ball but this time we went for a small ball.  I honestly wasn't sure if I could do it, but I was able to.  It was hard but not extremely difficult.

I then did push ups using the ball.  When my trainer demonstrated this I thought there was no way I could do it.  The first set was hard because I wasn't use to the motion but the other sets became easier.


We finished the workout with medicine ball throws from the squat position.

My sessions are going well.  I am now out of the corrective stage and now doing more strengthening and pushing. My trainer pushes me in ways is never push myself.  

After the training session, I decided I needed to run.  I had planned on 30 minutes with 3 strides at a 10 - 10:30 stride pace. I ended up cutting the total time to 20 minutes.  My glutes were feeling it and I didn't want to over do it.  But I stuck with the 3 strides and I was able to do the stride pace even though I wasn't sure if I could.

Friday:  Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 1 & Level 2




I woke up Friday to crappy weather.  The forecast called for rain turning to freezing rain.  I really wanted to hit the pool but just didn't feel like being in the pool if/when the freezing rain came.  Since I decided not to hit the pool, I decided to do 30 Day Shred.  I have always done Level 1 with the occasional Level 2.  I had never done Level 1 & 2 back to back.  I decided to give it a try.  I wasn't sure if I could do it but I thought I would give it a go.

I finished Level 1 feeling fantastic so I went on to Level 2.  For the most part Level 2 didn't bother me.  My arms (especially my shoulders) started feeling it during Level 2.  I have to say I would have never tried it, if not for my wonderful trainer.  She really is fantastic.  She pushes me and I knew because she pushes me that I could and would do it.

Saturday:  Rest

I woke up Saturday to pouring rain so my scheduled long run was out.  I was going to do yoga or something easy but just didn't feel like it.  So I took a rest day.  I did accomplish errands including buying a new MacBook Air!!  

Sunday:  Easy Ab Workout

Sunday was supposed to be my long run (7 miles).  Well throughout the night the rain turned to freezing rain and a little bit of snow.  J and I were worried about running outside due to the sidewalks being slick in spots, so I cut the run.  I could have ran on the treadmill, but I didn't feel like it.  I opened my car door into my head and hit it pretty good.  I have a knot on my forehead and throughout the night Saturday I had a terrible headache.  Any time I moved my head quickly on Sunday I felt a little dizzy.  So J talked me into only doing a light workout.  I stuck with an easy ab workout and called it a day.  Sunday we watched the Super Bowl and had some healthy delicious snacks (I will share them this week!).

Did you work out this week?  Did you watch the Super Bowl?  What was your favorite commercial?


For more from Fitness By Alicia check out:
-Instagram: FitnessByAlicia
-Twitter: FitnessByAlicia
-Facebook: Fitness By Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment